Saint Cloud Minnesota History
A professor at St. Cloud State University has found evidence of slavery in several counties of Minnesota before and after the Civil War, a groundbreaking discovery that sheds light on the state's role in slavery and its impact on Minnesota's history. The anthropology professor's research on slavery in the states and along the upper Mississippi is documented in a new book by the Minnesota Historical Society, "Slavery in Minnesota: A History of the State of Minnesota in the American South."
Lehman's research also found evidence that African-Americans were present in St. Cloud even before the city was founded in 1856. The study, published in a book in 2012, also found that more than half of Minnesota's residents were slave owners in the mid-19th and early 20th centuries.
Many of the migrants who settled in Minnesota and went on vacation were traveling mainly along the Mississippi. In the mid-19th century, slaves numbered close to 20% of southerners who vacationed in St. Cloud and other river cities like the Twin Cities and Stillwater.
Yet they provided a second income to many people in the St. Cloud region, including some farmers, but the river's water levels fluctuated too much to provide reliable service, and expenses were freely distributed, so interest in the paper grew. St. Cloud had steamship traffic from Minneapolis before the Civil War, and its location in the center of our state allowed the North Star to expand its audience and eventually claimed the largest circulation of a newspaper north of Minneapolis.
Lehman believes that's one reason the black population in St. Cloud was not that large in the 1950s and 1960s. Today, St., Cloud's largest employer, is the University of Minnesota, followed by Minnesota State University System and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. With a population of 70,239, including a total of 2,743 black and 1,843 white residents, it has the second largest black community in Minnesota after Minneapolis, according to the 2010 census.
St. Cloud experienced a boom at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century, partly driven by granite mining. Wood from Foley's mill helped build the railway that ran from the timber warehouse in 1882 westward to St.
Opened on Christmas Eve 1921, it was described as St. Wolkenkratzer's largest and finest playhouse with 1700 seats. The brick building was located on the site of the former Foley's Mill on the corner of Main Street and North Avenue.
In the 1890s, it was renamed Minnesota State Reform School and renamed Red Wing. It was re-baptized Minnesota State Training School. Today, St. Cloud Prison houses a granite wall that was infiltrated as part of the correctional facility's admissions system.
D.B. Searle, the occupants of the building were the St. Cloud Police Department and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. In 1868 he founded the "St Cloud Township Company," with C.T. Stearns, after whom the county was named, and his brother Joseph, who later promoted the settlement of what is now East St. Cloud. There is evidence that he once owned the land where St. John the Baptist lived.
In March 1856, the Minnesota Territorial Legislature granted the authority to incorporate the city of St. Cloud. Wilson's name, "St. Cloud," was chosen for the new city, and the first city officials were elected on April 2. The first officer of the city, elected by thirty-five voters, was elected on April 2, 1855 by the three-thirds of the votes of his fellow citizens.
In a resolution passed by the St. Cloud Park Board on July 2, 1936, the park was designated a public park, the first of its kind in the state of Minnesota. The city's first and only park on the north side of the Mississippi, at the intersection of North Avenue and South Avenue, was designated.
After the city was founded in 1889, it became the state prison of Minnesota in St. Cloud, the first of its kind in the state of Minnesota. The city's first public school, Saint Cloud High School, was approved, which included an elementary school, a middle school and a high school.
St. Cloud was chosen because two railway lines ran through the city, making it easy to get supplies and wagons to the Twin Cities. In 1855 John W. Tenvoorde brought his family to St. Cloud. They came in search of a location to settle the German colonies that wanted to emigrate from Evansville, Indiana. John TenVoorde, who led the first group of German-Americans to settle in St. Cloud, was a member of the American Civil War and the US Army Corps of Engineers.
Two large gorges in the north and south determined the location of the three settlements that would later become St. Cloud. The settlers from New England, most of whom were themselves staunch abolitionists and moderators, were attracted by the proximity of Lake George, the largest body of water in the Twin Cities, and the site was called St. Cloud City. In February 1926, StCloud Inc., which had been selling ice cream from Lake George to its residents for more than 25 years, sold the town 21 acres of it. On the day the name "St. Cloud" was first used as the name for the city, a Minnesota law united three cities into one.